I've noticed more shops provide bigger sizes especially since the revolt against size zero models on the runway in 2006 but i still think that there aren't many shopping options for the fashionable plus-sized gal. Some of the clothes are actually unflattering and not very feminine and its like some idiot just decided that fuller-figured women shouldn't be able to participate in fashion trends. As someone who has issues buying clothes because i'm quite tall, i feel i should put in my two cents.
I'm not an expert but i've done some research......
Famous Beauties With Curves
- A Low cut, single breasted jacket works best if you have a big bust
- A jacket that fastens underneath the bust is preferably because one that buttons over the bust might appear too tight and could lead to the peek-a-boo effect (we dont't want that, lol!)
- Go for styles that are slightly longer than the hip to elongate the body. Unless it's a cropped jacket, anything that hits right on the hip tends to draw attention if you are wider at the hips.
- A narrower lapel makes you appear slimmer up top.
- Stick with tops that have deep V-necks, sweetheart and scoop necklines (layer tops underneath very low necklines)
- Wrap tops are good
- Avoid high necks like the plague!
- General Tip! If you are higher than a C-Cup try not to wear heavily padded bras especially with Shirts. A lady at T.M lewin told me this when i kept complaining about my buttons. I now wear non-padded bras with my shirts and I even went a shirt size smaller....lifesaver!)
- Go for straight cut or boot cut styles
- Dark, clean washes
- Avoid tapered skinny jeans or anything too small or tight that creates a "sausage" effect
*If you must wear skinny jeans, make sure you wear a long-lined top that covers the widest part of your thighs. Also, remember to go for a darker wash.
- Avoid cropped or boyfriend styles which will tend to make you look short and wide