Thanks for visiting. If you like my blog, please click on the 'follower' button. xoxo


Saturday, February 23, 2008

Asa...one very talented Nigerian

While i was back home over xmas in Nigeria, I discovered Asa's music and i must say that i'm really impressed. I think most Nigerian's are already familiar with her but for those who don't know, Asa is Nigerian and was born in France but raised in Lagos from age 2. Her sound is a mix of soul and reggae and among her influences while growing up are artists including Marvin Gaye, Fela Kuti, Bob Marley, Aretha Franklin, Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey and Lagbaja and I definately get a strong sense of that when i listen to her album. She is like the female version of Bob Marley...probably why i love it so much! Every song has a deep and meaningful message behind it and I love the tone of her voice...its definately unique.

She basically sings about what she knows - the things around her, Nigeria's political and social issues and her life. Asa, in her own opinion, is not a commercial product and not a sex kitten. I think its definately wise to let the music and talent speak for itself and she's definately proved that you can be successful without all the gimmicks.

She's getting a lot of press in the UK at the moment. I was so shocked and happy when an advert for her album appeared on TV and the next day I saw an article about her in the newspaper and on the Jools Holland Show (For those who dont know, the guy is a musical legend in these parts and once you are invited on his show, you are definately credible!). I'm planning to attend her show in London in a couple of months and i know its going to be amazing from the live sets I've seen on youtube.

If you like Indie Arie, Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill, Rafael Saadiq, Sade or maxwell then you will probably like her material. She's got lots of dates around Europe till August so check out her website and myspace for tour dates and tv appearences. Links below:

I'm going to tell every single person i know and hopefully she'll get in the charts when her single is released over here! Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

SET said...

THIS IS SO INTERESTING, I GOT THIS CD FROM A FRIEND IN NIGERIA FOR XMAS, I FINALLY GOT TO LISTEN TO IT THIS MORNING, I AM SO IMPRESSED, SHE SOUNDS LIKE CHRISSETTE MICHELLE AND MACY GRAY IN ONE. SHE IS SO TALENTED.

Anonymous said...

Asa: A girl, much talented. Good.

More to her!